Friday, April 20, 2012

Game 24

Tommyg and I started a 4-game series of 75 15 matches tonight.  The first game was a bit of a nail-biter.  You can replay the whole game here.  The opening was pretty good on both sides - no major slip-ups that I saw.  I was getting settled in when he decided to send this queen side pawns down the side.  I held them off pretty good, but then he played 12...Ne4; a real tricky move that could have gone disastrous (for me) quite quickly.  I had to take his N with my N, but then I could see I would be able to gain a pawn ... except for his playing 14...f6 which would dislodge my N and allow the game to remain even.

But I paused and pondered a bit.  I tried finding imaginary positions ... I found one.  I started working out the details and it would seem I could go up two pawns.  I played 15. Qg4 with the idea that I could get the e6 and b5 pawns.  It worked out; and we even traded queens.

Since I still had all my pawns and he only had 3, I needed to figure out a way to queen one of them.

So they started trudging up the side.  He tried to get some counter play going with his N, but inevitably, the N would be mine.  I kept constant pressure on until he resigned on move 33.  I took his B with one of my Rs and then one of my pawns was going to come out a Q.

So a good first battle.  We plan on playing next week at the same time.

Game 25 is only a few hours away (with nygren).   I need to get some shut-eye for the big match tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

  1. You pounced on that 12...Ne4? really well I think Rocky. After the exchange of Kt's the c4 pawn has one less defender then before and you are able to win the pawn w/ the Qg4 and ensuing threats all over the place. 12...cxb3 I think is the right move for black to play. Open up that c-file for black on your backward c3 pawn and pressure it as best as he can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Nice job finding 15. Qg4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you play after 22 ... Rc8 (threatening Bc4)? Black may be lost already, but he definitely is after you get c4 in.

    ReplyDelete