Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer Week 12

Managing Teams

I expect to do well in this class. With that said, it is starting to be a really boring and predictable class. The first few weeks were "fun" and we learned quite a bit. Now it seems as though the teacher is struggling to come up with a decent lesson plan. Last week he lectured quite a bit. Then he sent us off for a half hour to work on this case. The case was very vague and most of the people on our team were grumpy and really didn't want to be at school. We put in a half-effort. After we worked on the case, we had to present it to the class.

During the other presentations, we were to be evaluating them on how well they presented. There is this one team that is very good at presenting. I think they have most of the "bonus" points from all the presentations and challenges. Anyway, it's been really tiring listening to them give their "perfect" presentation week after week. However this week, their presentation was probably the worst of all presentations given in class. I was feeling a little snarky, so I sung their praises and applauded how well their slides looked and how short and consise it all was. That's when it dawned on me that I'm really bored with this class.

One last item ... we got our quizes back and I scored a 91%. The average was 86%.

SV&S

He assigned our project to is this week. Then he lectured on DCF's ... more specifically, free cash flows to the firm and free cash flows to equity.

He also handed back our mid-mod exam. I got an 87%. The average was 88%. I was expecting to get in the low 80's or even 70's, so I was happy about hitting close to average. He said the final will be more difficult because there is a lot more to put together.

Saturday morning, my friend called me to see if I wanted to work on the project and knock it out this weekend. We started working on it Saturday afternoon at 1:00pm. By 7:00pm I had still not finished it. By Sunday morning, we were very close to finishing it. Last night, I think we finally fine-tuned our numbers and got the right answers.

Family Update

Squid #4 is still doing well. My sister-in-law came into town to help out. Sunday afternoon she went into some sort of seizure. We called 911 and she was submitted to the hospital. She's doing much better now and hopefully she can continue to help out with squids 1, 2 & 3 the rest of the week before she heads home on Friday.

Chess Update

Which leads me to chess ... because life keeps getting in the way, I've not been able to concentrate on chess very much. I did manage to get in 3 games Friday night. I lost 2 and won 1. I posted a couple of those cames on my blitz games link.

This Friday the 11th I'll begin the Circles. During lunch this week, I will do some chess vision reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment