Saturday, November 01, 2008

Getting Chess Skill

If you haven't visited Chess Vibes (or if you don't subscribe to their blog) you might want to saunter over there to read of some preliminary results they have on their recent study of chess skills.

Nothing too surprising about the results, but the glimmer of hope is found in once sentence: "Some believe that almost everyone can get to FIDE master with enough practice and study."

"So you're telling me there's a chance."

Additional Reading:
Susan Polgar picked this up too

I liked this graph which is displayed on Susan's blog

2 comments:

  1. I think that beside getting (good) training there is a factor that is equally important in reaching the FM or IM level and that is talent.

    I would go further and say without talent it will be hard, if not impossible to get to IM level. FM might be possible but it will be hard, very hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 PM

    I think these stats are too optimistic. They didn't ask the players that played a lot of games, but never got to master level. I agree with chesstiger about talent, also age is crucial.
    I told him about 11-12 year old boys that I beat being university student, then in a few years they all become candidate masters, don't know who they are now, but I am not even there yet. In our times if kids become FMs at 12, then they have a chance to be elite.

    ReplyDelete