Monday, November 02, 2009

Grumpy Chess Players

Generally speaking, it seems that chess players are either grumpy or just wierd. Personally, I think I tend to be in the grumpy camp. In fact, my wife has to remind me to not be so negative all the time.

Now comes a study about the benefits of being negative. This article explains some of the findings of the study such as being in a bad mood makes you less gulliable, improves your ability to judge others and boosts memory. Negativity can also "trigger more attentive, careful thinking paying greater attention to the external world."

A couple of other good things about being in a bad mood are: less likely to make quick decisions and less likely to make mistakes during recall.

That's all good for chess improvement!

It's good to be in a bad mood.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:31 PM

    Shut up. It's after midnight and I'm tired.

    (Man, I feel those rating points inching up already.)

    ReplyDelete